2002-2003 College Catalog by Richland Community College

More catalogs by Richland Community College | 2002-2003 College Catalog | 284 pages | 2018-02-08

Ads

Contacts for Richland Community College

Richland Community College is located in Decatur, Illinois.

For a copy of the Richland Community College Catalog, contact the Operator at (217) 875-7200.

http://www.richland.edu/

Catalog 2002-2003 College Catalog

2002-2003 College Catalog is listed under these categories

Education

Featured catalog pages of 2002-2003 College Catalog

richland community college community college district 537 2oo2-2oo3 catalog one college park decatur illinois 62521 telephone 217/875-7200 switchboard hours monday-thursday — 7:30 a.m 9:30 p.m friday — 7:30 a.m 5:00 p.m world wide web address www.richland.cc.il.us e-mail address rcchelp@richland.cc.il.us campus tours

30 financial information financial aid probation students who do not meet the grade point average requirements and the completion of hours requirements as explained above will be placed on financial aid probation a student may continue to receive state and federal grants scholarships and workstudy during a probationary semester students may not participate in any federal family education loan program while on probation students placed on probation are requested to sign a probation contract outlining the requirements needed to return to good standing students must enroll in at least six credit hours and complete the classes taken during the probation semester with a 2.00 gpa and meet required completion of hours as explained above if the conditions of probation are met and all other conditions for satisfactory progress are met the student may be returned to good standing or continued on probation for longer than two semesters the probation contract is enforced whether or not it is

58 academic information regulations “change of schedule” forms are available in the student records office room c128 or sds office room c129 to withdraw by phone call 875-7200 ext 267 changing program of study all program changes must be processed through sds students who want to change their courses of study are encouraged to discuss their plans with an sds counselor and/or other staff member such as an instructor in the new program and use the various resources in the career planning and placement center graduation graduation day public commencement ceremonies for students who have earned a degree or certificate from richland are held once a year at the end of the spring semester students who have completed the graduation requirements and received the certificate or degree in the fall semester or summer session are invited to participate in the graduation ceremony applying for graduation when a student feels that he/she is nearing completion of the requirements for

86 instructional programs agric 241 introduction to gis using arcview agric 250 fundamentals of farm management 3 3 custom applicator specialty additional required courses agric 180 introductory agricultural mechanization agric 240 gps applications in agriculture mec.s 112 pneumatics and hydraulics eltrn 110 introduction to electricity electricity social science elec 3 3 3 2 3 directed electives nine 9 credits are required which must be selected from the courses listed below agric 101 care and adjustment of agricultural equipment 3 agric 121 agriculture commodity marketing i 1.5 agric 187 off-highwayequipment ac heating 1 agric 241 introduction to gis using arcview 3 agric 250 fundamentals of farm management 3 agric 260 marketing agricultural products 3 weld 195 welding fundamentals for millwrights 3 automotive technology general description the automotive technology program provides students with an opportunity to obtain a solid foundation of knowledge experience and skills that

114 instructional programs required courses cr hrs c.i.s 110 business applications engl 110 communicating in the workplace or engl 101 general education electives i.t 105 information technology systems formerly c.i.s 105 i.t 115 client operating systems formerly c.i.s 115 i.t 131 programming logic with visual basic formerly c.i.s 131 i.t 141 networking fundamentals formerly c.i.s 141 i.t 142 routers formerly c.i.s 142 i.t 143 switches formerly c.i.s 143 i.t 144 wide area networks formerly c.i.s 144 i.t 151 the internet web applications formerly c.i.s 287 i.t 171 microcomputer hardware services formerly eltrn 171 i.t 172 microcomputer software services formerly eltrn 172 i.t 205 tech support/help desk i.t 245 server operating systems formerly c.i.s 245 i.t 255 data communications formerly c.i.s 255 i.t 285 systems analysis design formerly c.i.s 285 i.t 290 work experience practicum seminar or i.t 295 formerly c.i.s 290 math 104 technical math spch 120 business professional

142 course descriptions applicable toward graduation where program structure permits certificate or degree all certificates and all degrees group requirement not applicable area of concentration art art 110 – color theory 3-0-3 prerequisite art 111 and 150 provides an in-depth examination of color as it applies to design composition and use on the computer the class is an introduction to fundamentals of color systems principles of color harmony color theories and color media with an emphasis on using color for creative experimentation and expression applicable toward graduation where program structure permits certificate or degree all certificates and all degrees group requirement not applicable area of concentration art art 111 introduction to design 1 iai art 907 1-5-3 offers the student orientation in the principles and practice of two-dimensional designing using various media and dealing with the elements of line color balance value and form applicable toward

170 course descriptions eltrn 250 electrician internship 1 0-10-2 prerequisite admittance into the electrician apprenticeship program has been developed and established as the on-the-job component of the electrician apprenticeship program the onthe-job component will consist of work relating to the wiring of residential commercial industrial and/or specialized electrical systems all of the on-the-job work-related activities will be performed under the direct supervision of a journeyworker applicable toward graduation where program structure permits certificate or degree a.a.s group requirement not applicable area of concentration electrician apprenticeship program eltrn 251 electrician internship 2 0-10-2 prerequisite eltrn 250 has been developed and established as the on-the-job component of the electrician apprenticeship program the on-the-job component will consist of work relating to the wiring of residential commercial industrial and/or specialized electrical systems all

198 course descriptions i.t 172 – microcomputer software service 2-2-3 prerequisite i.t 171 prepares an individual for the pc software component portion of the a certification exam the course covers the computer startup process ms-dos overview device drivers batch files hard disk setup ms-dos setup ms-dos optimization microsoft windows family windows 3.1 setup and windows 95 98 2000 upgrade this course along with i.t 171 prepares a student for the a certification exam applicable toward graduation where program structure permits certificate or degree all certificates a.a.s a.l.s group requirement not applicable area of concentration – computer service technician i.t 181 ebusiness concepts 2-2-3 prerequisite successful completion grade of “c” or better of i.t 105 i.t 131 i.t 141 and i.t 151 presents the student with an introduction to the business side of the world wide web and the systems and facilities needed to do business on the web topics include

226 course descriptions issues in personnel such as women minorities and the disadvantaged are also investigated applicable toward graduation where program structure permits certificate or degree all certificates a.a.s a.l.s group requirement social science a.a.s only area of concentration not applicable philosophy phil 100 critical thinking iai h4 906 3-0-3 prerequisite eligibility for engl 101 develops the student’s ability to identify and correct faulty reasoning to distinguish between scientific and pseudoscientific reasoning and to reason according to elementary valid argument patterns throughout the course students examine and evaluate examples of good and bad reasoning and construct several extended arguments of their own on a variety of topics applicable toward graduation where program structure permits certificate or degree all certificates and all degrees group requirement humanities area of concentration philosophy phil 110 introduction to philosophy iai h4

254 course descriptions a.s.e 021a parent participation classroom involvement 1-0-1 is designed for parents reading at or above the 9th level and their children in a lapsit parents and children learn together through activities designed to encourage interactive play emphasis is placed on language development and the parent-child relationship this course is offered tuition free applicable toward graduation where program structure permits certificate or degree all basic certificates in general studies except personal development group requirement not applicable area of concentration basic certificate in developmental preparatory or basic skills a.s.e 022a self-esteem for the family 1-0-1 is designed to give parents reading at or above the 9th level the tools they need to support their child in school they will be empowered to communicate with school staff support school programming and encourage their child’s school success this course is offered tuition free applicable

richland community college city of decatur established 1972 disclaimer this catalog should not be considered a contract the college reserves the right to change at any time without notice tuition fees courses programs graduation requirements policies procedures and other such matters as may be within its control brush college rd pershing rd garfieldave eldorado st richland community college rea’s bridge rd t rd william stree lake shore dr airport rd water st illinois board of higher education illinois community college board under the provision of the community college act illinois state board of education universities of the state of illinois u.s department of education veterans’ administration illinois student assistance commission commission on accreditation of allied health education programs national league for nursing franklin st recognition mound rd main st richland community college subscribes to the principles and laws of the state of illinois and the