1975-1976 Education Catalogue by UCI - University of California Irvine

More catalogs by UCI - University of California Irvine | 1975-1976 Education Catalogue | 468 pages | 2019-11-25

Ads

Contacts for UCI - University of California Irvine

UCI - University of California Irvine

registrar@uci.edu • tel: (949) 824-6124 • fax: (949) 824-7896
215 Aldrich Hall • Irvine, CA 92697-4975
hours: Monday–Friday, 8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.

Catalog 1975-1976 Education Catalogue

1975-1976 Education Catalogue is listed under these categories

Education

Featured catalog pages of 1975-1976 Education Catalogue

the remains of a giant ground sloth claw there is some evidence to suggest that the 18-foot-high sloth was used either as food or as a work animal by early humans the sloth is an ancestor of the anteater uci s mascot cover illustration a 1699 edition of a map depicting california as an island kindly lent for use in the general catalogue by b.n desenberg · volume 9 number 1 july 1975 a series of administrative publications published by the university relations/publications office university of california irvine irvine california 92664 all announcements herein are subject to revision without notice second class postage paid at newport beach california return requested price $1.50 by mail $1.85 • uc irvine

graduate division in spite of a leg injury suffered in mexico ]un{pero serra accompanied by the explorer gaspar de portola traveled thousands of miles on foot in california uc irvine

student affairs 95 candidates who have received degrees or credentials from the university of california and who were not registered students in the period beginning one year prior to each november 1 must pay a fee of $20.00 per annum for the campus educational placement services other services include the maintenance of a file of directories and catalogues for educational institutions across the country and comprehensive listings of current statewide and national vacancies on-campus interviews with representatives of local school districts are also arranged student placement student placement offers assistance in obtaining part-time summer and temporary employment as well as placement if a student has a work-study award telephone service is available for job applicants who want to set up interviews with local employers part-time and temporary employment opportunities are posted on a bulletin board in the lobby area and checked and updated daily dean of students the objecti,ves of

142 medical microbiology donald j raidt immunology control of proliferation and differentiation in the immune response clifford a woolfolk general microbiology and physiology enzymology courses in medical microbiology 200a-b-c research in medical microbiology 2 to 12 per quarter f w s individual research supervised by a particular professor prerequisite consent of instructor 201a-b-c research topics in medical microbiology 4-4-4 f w s seminars presented by graduate students and faculty of the department which explore research topics in specialized areas of microbiology these seminars provide the opportunity for students to gain experience in the organization critical evaluation and oral presentation of current research developments 210a-b medical microbiology 4-4 w s this is an advanced course taught to medical students in the college of medicine biochemical and genetic properties of infectious agents the identification and behavior of pathogens activities of toxins chemotherapy

188 english comparative literature ways in which these modes formulate experience students will write several short papers in each course wr 30 the art of writing poetry 4 f w s beginners workshop in the writings of poetry evaluation of student manuscripts and parallel readings wr 31 the art of writing prose fiction 4 f w s beginners workshop in fiction writing evaluation of student manuscripts and parallel readings wr 32 the art of writing drama 4 beginners workshop in playwriting evaluation of student manuscripts and parallel readings same as drama 32 wr 38 the art of writing nonfiction and journalism 4 beginners workshop in the writing of nonfiction and news articles evaluation of student manuscripts projects three hours wr 39 expository writing 4 f w s practice in writing clear and effective expository prose three hours e 40 speech 4 f w s lecture and discussion three hours introduction to the rhetoric of extempore speech with some attention also to techniques of

234 russian 150b russian literature and revolution in translation 4 w an investigation of twentieth-century russian and soviet literature focusing upon the activity of the radical literary intelligentsia and the role of the writer in a revolutionary society lectures readings and discussions in english open to freshmen 150c russian literature in translation 4 s an exploration of a specific period or problem in russian literature lectures readings and discussions in english topic varies 151a russian prose 1800-1865 in russian 4 f the first course in a three-quarter sequence covering representative examples of russian fiction class discussion conducted largely in russian 151b russian prose 1865-1910 in russian 4 w 151c russian and soviet prose 1910-present in russian 4 155 russian stage and film drama in translation 4 f the course will trace the development of the russian theater through the symbolist drama to futurism and the post-revolutionary era attention will be paid to the

social sciences 2 81 school of social sciences christian werner dean undergraduate and graduate education in the school of social sciences at uci involves participation in an experiment the school includes the traditional subject areas of anthropology economics geography linguistics political science psychology and sociology however the program faculty and students differ substantially from conventional counterparts elsewhere the specific details of the differences are indicated below the details are elaborations of a commitment on the part of the faculty and students to a modern social science this commitment leads to educational programs with a three-way emphasis first educational programs are built upon systematic empirical observation and quantitative analysis of human behavior thus social science students must become familiar with the mathematical computational and statistical tools underlying modern social science the availability of high-speed electronic computers the

comparative culture 327 terdisciplinary views of gandhi black social movements and ideologies protest movements in chicano history black psychology a psychological view of the black experience the trans-mississippi west ancient china 196 seminars in social inquiry 197 field study 199 independent study graduate courses in comparative culture 200a-b-c proseminar in comparative culture 4-4-4 f w s core course seminar first quarter deals with qualitative techniques for the analysis of cultural data historical documents literary works and artifacts second quarter studies the uses of social science concepts and theory in the study of history literature and the visual arts third quarter is an examination of major interdisciplinary interpretations of cultures found in america 215 seminar on chicano history review of the literature on the history of mexicans in the united states with a critical analysis of the methodology and areas of study students will be required to carry out individual

374 physical education carl h reinhart b.a university of california irvine lecturer in physical education thomas r spence b.a university of california irvine lecturer in physical education rodney j sherman m.a university of southern california assistant director of athletics and lecturer in physical education richard b sweet b.a university of california santa barbara lecturer in physical education timothy m tift m.a pepperdine college lecturer in physical education · henry vellekamp b.a university of california santa barbara lecturer in physical education courses in physical education the instructional classes emphasize activities and sports that students may continue throughout their adult lives and are of particular interest in southern california ia-b-c physical education 7 per quarter f w s may be repeated sections in archery badminton baseball basketball bowling crew cross country equitation and horsemanship fencing golf handball life saving physical fitness racquetball

420 administration the master of science in administration the m.s program in gsa requires a minimum of twenty-three quarter courses with a minimum overall grade point average of 3.00 the twenty-three quarter courses normally take two full academic years or their equivalent in part-time registration part-time students normally take two courses per quarter and are required to complete the m.s degree in no more than four years to accommodate the needs of parttime students gsa offers a number of courses each quarter during late afternoon and evening hours the courses in the m.s program are divided into two groups each group designed to achieve specific educational objectives core courses the first group consists of twelve core courses and has two fundamental aims 1 to develop skills needed to select and use effectively the appropriate means methods and techniques for diagnosing and solving organizational problems 2 to identify the significant concepts and phenomena associated with the

· i i l 1 i i i i i i i i · i iiiii iiiliiii iiiiij· i i i iiiiii · i i i