2010/2011 USF-Tampa Undergraduate Catalog by USF - University of South Florida

More catalogs by USF - University of South Florida | 2010/2011 USF-Tampa Undergraduate Catalog | 482 pages | 2018-07-01

Ads

Contacts for USF - University of South Florida

University of South Florida

4202 E. Fowler Avenue, Tampa, FL 33620, USA • 813-974-4051

http://ugs.usf.edu/

Catalog 2010/2011 USF-Tampa Undergraduate Catalog

2010/2011 USF-Tampa Undergraduate Catalog is listed under these categories

Education

Featured catalog pages of 2010/2011 USF-Tampa Undergraduate Catalog

2010 may smtwtf academic calendar for undergraduate students s 1 2 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 4 5 6 7 8 fall semester 2010 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 march 1 monday application deadline date for international applicants outside of the united states to apply for admission and submit all required credentials and supporting documents application deadline for first time in college students for fall semester new freshmen application deadline date for international applicants currently in the united states to apply for admission and submit all required credentials and supporting documents application deadline date for undergraduate transfers and former students returning to apply for admission except international applicants classes begin last day to withdraw/drop and receive full refund of registration fees deadline 5:00 p.m last day to add courses deadline 5:00 p.m last day for late registration deadline 5:00 p.m last day to pay fees labor day holiday rosh hashanah begins

52 academic policies and procedures university of south florida 2010/2011 undergraduate catalog “i” grade policy an “i” grade indicates incomplete coursework and may be awarded to graduate and undergraduate students undergraduate rules apply to non-degree-seeking students it may be awarded to an undergraduate student only when a small portion of the student’s work is incomplete and only when the student is otherwise earning a passing grade until removed the “i” is not computed in the gpa for either undergraduate or graduate students the time limit for removing the “i” is to be set by the instructor of the course for undergraduate students this time limit may not exceed two academic semesters whether or not the student is in residence and/or graduation whichever comes first “i” grades not removed by the end of the time limit will be changed to “if” or “iu,” whichever is appropriate if an

100 college of arts and sciences university of south florida 2010/2011 undergraduate catalog · · pharmacy physician assistant requirements for health professions schools these courses prepare students for admission to professional schools of chiropractic medicine dentistry medicine osteopathic medicine podiatric medicine optometry veterinary medicine physical therapy and pharmacy all of these professional schools have in common the following course requirements which should be completed by the end of the junior year the usual time of application biology bsc 2010 2010l biology i cellular processes bsc 2011 2011l biology ii diversity 3,1 3,1 chemistry chm 2045 chm 2046 chm 2210 chm 2211 3,1 3,1 3,2 3,2 2045l 2046l 2210l 2211l general chemistry i general chemistry ii organic chemistry i organic chemistry ii physics phy 2053 2053l general physics i phy 2054 2054l general physics ii 3,1 3,1 in addition to these requirements it is generally expected that preprofessional students will

148 college of arts and sciences university of south florida 2010/2011 undergraduate catalog pos pos or pos and syg 2041 american national government 2112 state and local government and politics 3142 intro to urban politics government 2010 contemporary social problems magazine option jou 2100 beginning reporting jou 3101 advanced reporting jou 3308 magazine article and feature writing jou 4201 news editing i jou 4212 magazine design and production mmc 4200 communications law mmc 4203 communication ethics mmc 4420 research methods selective requirements 7 hours required selected with advisor’s approval other requirements the following courses are required outside the school to complete sequence requirements eco 1000 basic economics crw 2100 narration and description phi 1103 critical thinking pos 2041 american national government pos 2112 state and local government and politics or pos 3142 intro to urban politics and government and syg 2010 contemporary social problems

196 college of business university of south florida 2010/2011 undergraduate catalog must have a 2.0 or higher gpa in the major they can use grade forgiveness for only one upper-level mis course at least 18 hours must be taken in residence at usf tampa a grade point average of 2.0 or higher must be achieved in all major course work at usf and an overall 2.0 gpa including transfer work required mis courses ism 3232 business application development 3 ism 3113 systems analysis and design 3 ism 4212 database administration 3 ism 4220 business data communications 3 ism 4300 managing information resources 3 plus approved mis electives total hours required for b.a b.s degree 9 24 ism 3232 business application development is recommended to be taken before or concurrently with ism 3113 systems analysis and design no more than three hours of ism 4950 can be counted as mis electives ism 4905 will not count as an mis elective requirements for a minor in mis for business majors only students

college of engineering 243 university of south florida 2010/2011 undergraduate catalog ein bme ein bme ech bme 4313c human factors 5006 theory and design of bioprocesses 5245 work physiology/biomechanics 5040 pharmaceutical engineering 5748 selected topics in biomedical engineering 5748 selected topics in biomedical engineering 3 3 3 2 1-10 3 please see academic advisor for required special topics courses please see academic advisor for selected special topics courses • civil and environmental engineering undergraduate degree offered bachelor of science in civil engineering b.s.c.e graduate degrees offered master of science in civil engineering m.s.c.e master of science in environmental engineering m.s.e.v master of civil engineering m.c.e master of environmental engineering m.e.v.e doctor of philosophy in civil engineering ph.d doctor of philosophy in engineering science ph.d this department offers course work and study pertinent to civil engineering engineering

college of the arts 291 university of south florida 2010/2011 undergraduate catalog total semester hours for the b.f.a degree in art studio fkl core curriculum exit requirements art requirements total 120 hours 27 9 84 please note that 9 hours of the fkl requirements are satisfied by the art school curriculum and that the actual total hours in fkl courses remains 36 as state-mandated requirements for the b.a degree in art history the following courses are necessary for completing a b.a degree in art history i art preparation all coursework in the school of art art history must have a grade of “c-” or better to satisfy program requirements arh 2050 history of visual arts i 3 arh 2051 history of visual arts ii 3 art 2201c concepts and practices i 4 art 2301c beginning drawing 3 total 13 hours history of visual arts i and ii must be used to satisfy the general education historical perspectives requirement if the student is to remain within 120 hours for the degree plus

usf course descriptions 339 university of south florida 2010/2011 undergraduate catalog acg 2021 principles of financial accounting 3 bu acc study of basic accounting principles including the recording and reporting of financial activity the preparation and interpretation of financial statements acg 2071 principles of managerial accounting 3 bu acc pr acg 2021 with a grade of c or better a study of the accountant’s role in assisting management in the planning and controlling of business activities acg 3074 managerial accounting for non-business majors 3 bu acc does not count towards major or cpa requirements not available for credit for business majors the study of the uses of accounting data internally by managers in planning and controlling the affairs of organizations acg 3103 intermediate financial accounting i 3 bu acc pr acg 2071 with a grade of c or better not c acg 2021 with a grade of c or better theory and methodology underlying financial reporting including the

usf course descriptions 387 university of south florida 2010/2011 undergraduate catalog env 4417 water quality and treatment 3 en egx pr egn 3353 an introduction to municipal water supply and waste water treatment topics include water requirements and waste volumes water quality physical and chemical treatment processes and advanced wastewater treatment processes env 4502 water treatment engineering 3 en egx pr egn 3353 cr env 4001 the theory and the design of unit operations normally used in the practice of environmental engineering such as agitation and mixing of liquids filtration leaching gas absorption sedimentation and clarification drying and evaporation env 4503 wastewater treatment engineering 3 en egx pr ech 3023c egn 3353 env 4001 the theory and design of unit processes normally used in environmental engineering such as coagulation of colloidal materials water stabilization water softening and neutralization ion exchange adsorption and oxidation processes for removal of

usf course descriptions 435 university of south florida 2010/2011 undergraduate catalog studio and the musical responsibilities of the studio teacher the techniques of private instruction mvk 4641 piano pedagogy ii 4 ta mus pr mvk 4640 dpr may be elected by undergraduate music majors emphasis on the business management of the music studio and the musical responsibilities of the studio teacher the techniques of private instruction mvk 5251 applied piano 2-4 ta mus pr dpr open to senior and advanced undergraduate students who have completed recital requirements special non-degree seeking students and students who have a secondary applied music requirement private and class instruction mvp 1211 applied percussion 1 ta mus pr dpr course is open by audition only one half-hour private lesson or one hour class per week for music students wishing to gain proficiency in an area other than their applied performance major and for a limited number of nonmusic majors who have had prior musical